Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver
by Lois Lowry
5/5 Stars



Synopsis from Goodreads:

Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back


My Review:



This is not my typical review. This book is my all time favorite book. I've been reading and re reading this book since I picked it up back in like 7th grade. Its my go to book, my comfy place. The book when I just want to read something that reminds me of my earlier reading days. My brain palette cleanser between books or book series. I read this book at least 5 times a year. This was the first book that every made me cry.


I love Jonas and his strength that he has to do what he has to do to make people feel again. The strength and bravery he had to have not only to embrace the happy memories and feelings but to endure the painful ones as well.
I love The Giver and his old wise ways and how it kills him to bring pain to this poor boy who is next in line to be The Receiver and having to get past the worry that what happens in the past will happen again.
Every time I read this book it makes me grateful for my memories, feelings and choices. I'm pretty sure this is the book that when I read it it finally hit me what the difference between an actual home and a dwelling is. Or what an actual family is compared to a family unit. How much the words " Yes, I love you" actually means.
As a kid it was awesome to see Jonas just a young kid have such an impact on his colony. He didn't have superhuman strength or gadgets just him.


Needless to say I love this story I read it often and my I read it to my kids often. I recommend this to any one young or old.


I just recently watched the movie.


The Giver (2014)

Why did it take me so long? Like I said my ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOK got made into a movie. I was excited at first. I wanted to rush to the theaters to see it. To take my kids to see it ,but what if they screwed it up? What if I hated it?  Oh god I can't see this!  Why is Jonas so old?  

Well, with all that running through my mind I never saw it in theater I waited till I could get it in my hands on watch it in the comfort of my home.  I'm kind of disappointed that I waited. I wish I would have just experienced it in the theater.  They did a wonderful job. They didn't seem to move far from the story line. The kids were older than I had pictured in my head, but it worked great.  Jeff Bridges made an excellent Giver. I think the casting was super well done.  

My favorite part was when we got to see the memories that Jonas ( Brenton Thwaites) was given.  And the heartbreaking part when he found out what it meant to be released and seeing his father release a newborn. 

This movie was more than I expected. I loved it and I have a feeling now every time I read the book I'll be watching the movie after. ( Just hope I don't wear out my first copy of the movie like I did with my book) 

No comments:

Post a Comment