Friday, March 6, 2015

Hopebreaker by Dean F. Wilson



Hopebreaker
(Great Iron War Book 1)
by Dean F. Wilson






















Synopsis from Goodreads:


In the world of Altadas, there are no more human births. The Regime is replacing the unborn with demons, while the Resistance is trying to destroy a drug called Hope that the demons need to survive.

Between these two warring factions lies Jacob, a man who profits from smuggling contraceptive amulets into the city of Blackout. He cares little about the Great Iron War, but a chance capture, and an even more accidental rescue, embroils him in a plot to starve the Regime from power.


When Hope is an enemy, Jacob finds it harder than he thought to remain indifferent. When the Resistance opts to field its experimental landship, the Hopebreaker, the world may find that one victory does not win a war.


My review:

4/5 Stars


I received the ebook for my honest review


For me this is one of those books that I looked at the cover and decided I have to read this. I mean look at the cover! Its simple and has a cool tank like vehicle for me it was an attention grabber. Then I read the synopsis, a book about a world were there are no more human births and unborn are being replaced by Demons, unless you get an amulet that has to be smuggled in. Also these Demons survive on a drug called Hope. Yup, you got me. I have to read it.


Main character is a charismatic sarcastic and rather anti hero-ish amulet contraceptive smuggler with a coil ( money) addiction. The action starts up from the beginning where the main character Jacob end up in the same place as The Whistler. From there he meets other characters and to only feed his greed ( supposedly) and the mutual hate he has for the Regime he becomes a fighter in the Resistance.


I liked how the action started right from the beginning and continued through the story, so there wasn’t a point I felt the need or the want to set the book down. But, I felt like I was missing something. I think what I needed was more of a beginning

I enjoyed the characters they were interesting and have their own type of mystery about them. But, I could have used a little bit more to make them relatable I suppose. I’m not sure how to put this. They were well written but I felt like something was just left out or that maybe the story with all the action was going too fast that I couldn’t get a grasp on the characters ( This probably makes no sense to anyone). I enjoyed them but they left me with a so what feeling at points. Maybe its all the mystery behind the whole WHY are they in the Resistance besides the obvious going against the drug pushing unborn human swapping Demons.


All in All an intriguing story with some interesting characters. It has your steampunk, dystopian , war , with humor and slight romance. It was a book that I read from 9pm until I finished it around 4am the next day. Action, adventure and the need to know what is going to happen next kept me from putting it down.

I look forward to the continuation of the story and I liked it so much I am putting the other series this author has written in my "to be read" list.

If you like a light steampunk, action adventure with a world being taken over by Demons using Hope as a drug/ weapon and intriguing characters fighting this war against them this book will not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment